Promise of a New Thing

My two favorite seasons are definitey Spring and Fall.  In both seasons we get to see the world transformed in so many ways right before our eyes.  This Fall in particular I have been so amazed at the beauty of the scenes around us.  I work on a school bus and so we are up and on the road early in the mornings with a first look at the sunrise, the oranges, yellows, reds reflecting off the morning fog and clouds.  The dew and lake water sparkling like crystal drops.

With the rain patterns and leaves staying up longer, dragging out the brilliance of the Fall colors so nicely this year, I am in constant awe and awareness of the Creator's presence and awesomeness, just driving around taking it all in.

Today, at the end of the school day, in addition to all of the amazing Fall colors, there were rainclouds moving about mixed up with patches of blue sky.  The perfect recipe for rainbows.  Just as we pulled in to park our bus we see one of the best rainbows I have ever seen.  A double rainbow with vibrant colors.  All the way across our parking lot and back out to my car, all the way on the drive home, I was captivated, "ooh"ing and "awe"ing as the rainbow flittered about in front of me, highlighting the beautiful Fall scenery.


There is a saying about Fall leaves and how they remind us "how lovely it is to let [the dead] things go".

As I drove home from work, pausing a few times for photo opportunities, of course, I was struck not just by this saying, reminding us to "let go" of things, but I was also reminded of the symbolism of a rainbow.  The rainbow represents the promises of God and reminds us that God always keeps His promises.

It occurred to me that as difficult as it is to "let go", and as much as the images of the Fall are all about nature dying off, going into hibernation for the cold, dark season of Winter, the PROMISE of Spring and NEW LIFE remains.

Yes, Winter is coming, and yet we rest in the promise of what follows.


"Be alert, be present.  I'm about to do something brand-new.
     It's bursting out!  Don't you see it?"  Isaiah 43:19

Comments

Popular Posts